Is your diet hurting your smile? Sporting a healthy diet will not only affect your waistline but can also play a big role on the health of your gum line as well. Due to the fact that tooth decay and gum disease could be the result of what you eat, take the time to look at your own diet and make the changes to save your smile and tailor it into one that is healthy and happy. Listed below are a few remarkable dietary options to improve your nutrition and your oral health:
– Look for foods with high water content that are crunchy, such as pears and apples, as they are exceptional selections for washing away food residue and harmful acids and increasing saliva production.
– Saliva can neutralize acids in your mouth, so try introducing saliva-producing foods to your diet, including chewing sugarless gum, which has been proven to jumpstart saliva production and aid in the prevention of cavities after meals.
– Some components in foods can remineralize our teeth for healthier and stronger tooth enamel, including minerals such as calcium and phosphorous which are often found in foods such as chicken, cheese, nuts, and milk.
– Avoid simple sugars and carbohydrates, as plaque buildup and bacteria in our mouths can convert these ingredients into harmful acids that can chew through tooth enamel.
– Avoid chowing down on foods in between meals, including during times of snacking or as standalone treats.
If you are showing signs of tooth decay or gum disease, come visit Stephens City Family Dentistry for treatment today. With the helpful support of Dr. Young Lim D.D.S. and our wonderful team at our dentist office in Stephens City, Virginia, we can restore your smile to its former glory. To schedule an appointment, call us at 540-869-2600. Visit us today, and your smile with thank you!